Friday, October 09, 2009

Pinch 'Em Tight }{ Trail Kicked My Tail

I made my way to Red River Gorge yesterday. Fall is hands down my favorite season, thus, hiking and anything outdoors is stellar for me in the fall. Leaves around here are just changing and there's an awful lot of 'em still hanging around. Just a few steps into our trek I could tell that it was going to be especially scenic.
We opted for the Pinch 'Em Tight trail...new territory for me. I suppose I've hit or crossed it at certain points, but I was unfamiliar. Couple miles of rough trail, pretty good stuff. Headed toward Gray's Arch...the trail became a roller coaster around this time. I typically let my legs carry me at whatever speed the hill suggests, which made for some fast descending. Inclines would span over a hundred yards, and steep enough to ski a shoe or two for a few feet. Feeling a little sore from it already.
Of course rain, being the punctual and mobilized friend it is, provided showers for us. (Anyone sick of East coast rain yet? ME!) Those awesome downhill spans I referenced? Yeah, well if you don't do the entire loop, you gotta climb those suckers on the way back. I felt like a machine hiking back up...not necessarily because of sufficiency, but because my legs were robot-like, adapting back to a task they have completed often times before.
A ways into it, common conversation turned to foot patter. No talking. That's when it gets really good, ya know? That kind of hike motivates the kind of thoughts that will render you silent. I spent a lot of the time thinking. Decided during that I will be heading out to Colorado end of November for a great adventure with Rob III.
Forgot my water bottle, that was a big, DUMB bummer. Everything else was good times. Go for a hike! It's good for you. Trail running > Hiking < Mountain Biking ... that's right :)

No comments: