Wednesday, May 07, 2008

TRI-ing with the Locals & Other Happenings


This past Saturday we had a graduation party at the school. Many people attended and I got to chat with a few. Among those was a man, whom I let slip away before catching his name. He was getting a cup of coffee and I happened to look down and see a nice, new pair of Mizuno's. Immediately I told him I liked 'em. He seemed surprised that I was commenting on them. He told me they were great shoes and I quickly agreed. He began telling me that he was a runner. Jen overheard the conversation and asked if he had done the 10k on the bridge and he responded with, "No, too short." He continued with informing that he does marathons and triathlons. I heard the later and wanted to know more. Apparently he had completed an Ironman... a couple actually. I wanted to know all about it and he was glad to share. He also told us about cycling to the top of El Yunque, to the antennas. That is a long and tedious trek, for those of you who are unaware of the steepness and altitude of the rainforest. There is a massive amount of cyclists here, which I didn't know. A lot of training triathletes too. Needless to say it was really neat meeting someone who shared an interest and joy in running and the like. (I am hoping to run in the next 10k.)
Today after venturing to the post office and Amigo- (the grocery store), I headed home. I pulled onto the highway and from a distance saw two figures moving noticeably slow and carrying several bags. As I got closer I could see it was an older couple, probably in their 60's, carrying the groceries home. I passed them, but then decided to stop, reverse, and ask if they wanted a lift. When I pulled up and rolled the window down the woman said in broken English, "You have ride?" I nodded and climbed to the side door and slid it open. They seemed relieved and I felt a hint of empathy. I cranked the AC and we sat in silence most of the way except for a couple of times when the man would give me a direction. Upon arriving at their home, they both voiced many thank you's. After carrying all of their bags in the man walked up to the window and said something in Spanish that I wasn't able to understand. I gestured that I didn't understand and he quickly began to move his thumb against his fingers... this was something I understood, money. I assumed he was asking me if I wanted payment for taxiing them. I told him it was no problem. I then realized after he kept motioning that he was requesting money. I told him no and he accepted that and walked into the house. I wonder if he was content with getting a ride or discontent with not getting any money?

No comments: